Spring is here! It’s time to perform some long-overdue yard maintenance, and your Central Coast Ace Hardware has you covered. Ace’s home expert, Lou Manfredini, lists these 5 lawn care tips that are “must-do’s” for spring. Timing, the right steps, and the right products can make a world of difference to getting things looking great.
“Must-Do” Lawn Care Tips
- Your best friend when it comes to spring clean-up is your rake! Really! Get outside and with a good pair of work gloves, start clearing the flower beds, the lawn, behind the shed (if you have a shed) fluff up that lawn and remove all the winter debris from your yard. Next use a flat bladed spade shovel and define the beds by cutting a clean line around them on a slight angle.
- Spread new mulch. Before you spread the mulch think about any new plants you may want to install. Flowers, bushes and so on. It all depends on where you live but remember the mulch typically is the final dressing. You many also want to apply some weed control product under the mulch to keep things looking great all season long. As for the mulch, there are so many types, colors and brands to choose from. Just remember mulch is like diapers, you always need more.
- Get your lawn mower tuned up and ready for the season. From changing the oil to sharpening the blade, it’s important that your lawn mower is cared for before a long season of cutting the lawn on a weekly basis. Contact a neighborhood Ace, as many offer a lawn mower tune up service. If your lawn mower has seen better days, then consider a new lawn mower like a battery-operated lawn mower. The technology has greatly improved in the last five years. No oil, no gas, no pollution and they are quiet and easy to operate. You will also find products that share all the same batteries so once you commit to one maker their batteries run a full complement of tools for trimming, edging, cutting, tilling and more.
- Feed your lawn. If you have bare spots, rough up the soil, add new grass seed, cover with seed starting soil, water it and and give it a couple of weeks to germinate. Then you can start on a 4-step program. If you follow the right steps, your lawn will look lush, green and healthy. You’ll save your self time weeding and be able to enjoy your yard and relax this season.
- Early spring trimming of bushes and shrubs with a trimmer will help promote healthy growth and robust shapes from the plants. Take your time and trim back dead branches, shape the plants appropriately but don’t be too aggressive. Step back often from the plant several feet to make sure you are not giving it a buzz cut which can take a while to grow back.
For more information and a full catalog of products available online, please visit AceHardware.com
To check lawn care product availability in Watsonville, Freedom, Gilroy, Salinas or Marina, contact your local Central Coast Ace Hardware today!